Saturday, March 03, 2012

How the Canon ST-E3-RT Differs From PocketWizard Flex + Mini and Phottix Odins

How the Canon ST-E3-RT Differs From PocketWizard Flex + Mini and Phottix Odins:

Nice chart and content comparing the (formerly?) industry standard PocketWizards, the relatively new Phottix Odins, and the brand spankin' new Canon ST-E3-RT radio flash master/slave systems. I'm leaning to Phottix Odin for flexibility (especially now that I know it supports TTL and high-speed synch). That being said, I still get an awful lot of mileage out of my cheapo CowboyStudio triggers. Just sayin'....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I have a question for you: did I understand you correctly? The Odins support TTL while shooting in HSS mode? If so, that's absolutely fabulous!
Regards,
Michael

Dawn & Ron said...

Their specs (on Amazon) list the following:

-- Wireless 2.4GHz. TTL and Manual Flash Triggering
-- Remote power control of groups in TTL with +/- EV adjustments (3 stops in 1/3 stop increments - 18 different levels.)
-- Mix TTL and Manual flash - fire some groups in TTL, others as manual
-- Remote power control in A:B ratio modes with +/- EV adjustments
-- High speed sync - shutter speeds up to 1/8000 sec

I'm reading TTL and I'm also reading HSS and I have no reason to think that they are mutually exclusive. I will certainly do a little more research when I get closer to the purchasing stage. As I say, I get a lot of mileage (economically and photographically) out of my cheapo triggers.

Archives