Monday, April 21, 2008

Moments, Angles, Lenses, & Laughs

As a photographer, I have to be ready for the picturesque moment, but it's often not good enough to simply be alert with my shutter finger at the ready. Sometimes, in order to get the most artistic value or interest from a scene, I have to anticipate the action to come to be able to make the best choice of lens, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.


This shot is a good example. A magician performing at a family reunion. My standard telephoto lens would have captured the scene. However, my choice of a wide-angle lens shooting from a low, close position with the camera set to a highly saturating landscape picture style gives the resulting picture much more drama.


So, give some thought to what might happen and try some new settings on the ol' camera. Or, better yet, do like me and hang three cameras around your neck, eack with different settings and lenses in order to quickly change-up the situation.

No comments:

Archives