Wednesday, September 21, 2011
Photographytalk has this terrific article about color correcting gels. I just ordered the Roscolux Swatch Book, myself. It has more colors even than the Strobist set, and although intended as a sampler, can, of course be used to color correct and it's only $4.00!
Now, though I will use these for color correcting the standard way, I also have two other purposes for these little buggers.
The first is to transform my white backdrop into a myriad of different colors. I may even overlay patterns or pictures on gel colors that I know I won't need for any other purpose. Just be sure to project the color or pattern on the backdrop behind the subject unless you actually want it on them, too.
The second is a cloudy day cheat. If you are shooting people outdoors on an overcast day but would like some blue or other moody sky effects, do this: Set your camera white balance to tungsten (this will blue-up everything). Then put a piece of CTO (color temperature orange) or two on the flash to warm your subjects back up. Instant awesome look.
Good luck and good shooting! ~RW
- ► 2014 (41)
- ► 2013 (51)
- ► 2012 (189)
- yellow pages
- Adobe Lightroom 3.5 and Camera RAW 6.5 Now Availab...
- Canon Goes Greener with New Ink Cartridge Recyclin...
- Dawn and the Case of The Popping Strobes!
- Time Travel Through Photoshop – WW II Photography ...
- Reuters Photo From Libya Accused of Being Digitall...
- Canon Bringing Back Lens Aperture Rings for HDSLR ...
- shutter speed
- Astronaut’s Photography Manual
- and just a little bit of steam.....
- Instagram 2.0 || Small Aperture
- Super Easy DIY Rechargeable Battery Power Pack For...
- Strobist: Michael Kelley: Two-Speedlight Architect...
- Smarter Content Aware Fill in Photoshop
- What’s new in Lightroom 3.5 RC? | The Lightroom Qu...
- pipe dream gear vs. obtainable gear
- Top 10 Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 Lens Reviews on Amazo...
- Put your photos in front of 12M people | Pixiq
- cheap triggers and cheap light
- subtle blues
- Digital Photo - High-Contrast Light | DPmag.com
- New edit of Mikeala
- A sad tale of hard drive disasters and Lightroom b...
- From Click to Quiet: Silence Your Shutter with Aqu...
- How much should you charge?
- 10 Tips to Improve Lightroom’s Speed and Performan...
- fashion shoot and edit tutorial video
- How to use a grey card | Pixiq
- The Madison Montage
- further edits
- Mikeala's model shoot
- evil court jester spider
- found shadows in midtown
- the moody biplane
- PocketWizard® - Major ControlTL Firmware Update fo...
- what I learned about photographing airshows
- “What The Jiminy Christmas Are You Taking a Photo ...
- Fujifilm Release X10 Premium Compact Camera
- ▼ September (41)
- ► 2010 (170)
- ► 2009 (152)