Friday, August 28, 2009

Restoration Plus Imagination

Our friends at PhotoWalkPro (www.revellphotography.com/blog/) recently did a post about a terrific photo restoration job they did. You can see that particular post, the restoration, and an idea as to how they did it here.

So let it be made perfectly clear that they did all the really hard stuff with the scratches and entire chunks of missing image (but I have done some work like that in the past). However, I decided that perhaps the job could be taken just a little bit further. So I tried a color-correction to remove most of the sepia effect and then did a manual colorization. Now, I have no idea what colors the people in the picture were actually wearing, so, in terms of accuracy, PhotoWalkPro was probably absolutely correct to leave it where they did.

That being said, I like where I ended up. Here is where PhotoWalkPro ended and where I started.


And here is where I ended up.

So, although I think this process can be taken further to truly maximize the overall effect (and I just wanted to show-off a bit), I know why PWP stopped where they did, and I'm certain that their client was thrilled with the authenticity of the restoration job.

If you have mildly damaged pictures or images with simple color casts, let me know. Perhaps we can bring those memories, that personal history, back to life!

No comments:

Archives