Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Lightning Strikes

The lightning was most definitely not on strike 'round these parts recently. SE Michiganders know we had some crazy storm action on Sunday. Last night (Monday) brought another batch of storms, although they didn't seem near as crazy, at least here in Clawson. So Dawn and I sat out on the covered porch (Cosmo wanted nothing to do with it and cowered away from the thunder in the bathroom right next to the tub).


And I tried to shoot the lightning. The lightning was not particularly cooperative. I was running 30 second exposures on a tripod. My D40 then needed 20-30 seconds to process the crazy long exposure and that was inevitably when a good bolt of lightning would hit. But after a half-hour of attempts, I got this.



Not terrific, but it is lightning. Looks like dusk, doesn't it? It was full dark. F/22, 30 seconds, ISO 100 and I went with Tungsten WB in order to get the blue in the sky. F/22 to maximize depth of field as I couldn't pre-focus on the lightning. 30 seconds because that's the best the 40D will do without being in bulb. I tried bulb but my hand got tired and kept me away from my beverage. So, there's some lightning. I'll be trying again at the next storm.

No comments:

Archives